Labour's South Yorkshire Police Commissioner candidate Shaun Wright has hit out at Tory-led Government proposals to weaken anti-social behaviour tools, and has pledged if he wins November's election victims of ASB will get a response within 24 hours.
A series of Government proposals would leave police with less power to deal with nuisance and anti-social behaviour and make people wait longer for a response to complaints.
The Tories are:
* Scrapping ASBOs and replacing them with weaker tools that don’t even result in a criminal record if people ignore them
* Making people wait until 3 separate complaints about anti-social behaviour, or complaints from 5 different households, have been made before getting a police response.
* Making it harder for the police to get CCTV cameras to prevent antisocial behaviour by wrapping up the process in red tape
* Cutting 436 police officers from our area, meaning fewer police working to tackle antisocial behaviour
Labour’s PCC candidate Shaun Wright will work with the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire to ensure victims of antisocial behaviour get a strong and swift response.
* Victims will get a response to antisocial behaviour within 24 hours and not have to wait until 5 different households complain
* As Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire Shaun Wright would tell the Tory-led Government in no uncertain terms they should not scrap ASBOs
* And the police response should be able to use strong tools, such as ASBOs, and make sure low-level antisocial behaviour is dealt with quickly and those responsible clear up their own mess
Shaun Wright said:
“The Tories are weakening action on antisocial behaviour, scrapping ASBOs for weaker measures and making people wait longer for a response. People in South Yorkshire know that’s not good enough.
“I will work with our Chief Constable to ensure victims get a swift response within 24 hours.
“The Tories are weak on antisocial behaviour. They’ve weakened police powers to deal with offenders blighting the lives of people in their local community and are pushing through hugely irresponsible and damaging cuts to police numbers.”